18th century route map from Delhi to Kandahar
In addition to single drawings and maps contained in larger works, the Mughals almost certainly used route maps which had obvious practical applications. Some 18th century examples exist in the form of schematic lists, while others are diagrammatic representations. Maps in this format may well have been produced centuries earlier, but are not to be found among the few surviving examples of which the British Library is fortunate in having two. These are almost identical copies of the route from Delhi to Kandahar in Afghanistan. One (IO Islamic 4725) is a scroll measuring 20 metres, and the smaller (IO Islamic 4380), on display in the exhibition âMughal Indiaâ, is 12 metres long. No indication of orientation or scale is given.
Neither of the maps is dated, but a note in English on the
back of the larger scroll mentions a âMoulvee Ghulaam Kadurâ. This is possibly Mawlavi Ê»Abd
al-Qadir Khan ("Abould Kadir Khan" in the published report) who in 1806 worked for John Lumsden, a civil servant of the East India Company at the Nawab Vizierâs Court in Lucknow. As a result of a threatened
invasion by the ruler of Afghanistan, Zaman Shah Durrani (ruled 1793-1800),
Lumsden, in 1797, sent an agent, Shaykh Rahim Ê»Ali to Kabul to collect data and report back. From Rahim Ê»Ali's
al-Qadir extracted an account of the 75 stages of the journey from
Delhi to Kabul and published it in The Asiatic
Annual Register for 1806 (for details see below). It is possible,
however, that the British Library maps were based on an earlier model since their details complement
rather than duplicate the printed account. They include references to the
residence of Maharaja Amar Singh who ruled Patiala from 1748 to 1782, and "the late Burhan al-Mulk", the
first Nawab of Oudh, who died in 1739, besides frequent mention of ruined
serais (âtravel-lodgesâ) which were probably destroyed in the disturbances from
the mid to late 18th century. Unlike the memoir, both maps extend the route as
far as Kandahar.
The map begins at Delhi with the area around the Red Fort, north of the River Jumna. On the lower right is Salimgarh Gate and on the left is Buland Bagh. To the left of the Delhi Gate is SaÊ»d Allah Khan's Chowk. North of the Fort are vineyards on the right and a rose garden on the left. Between the Fort and Chandi Chowk (in the centre going north) are the garden pavilion of Shaista Khan and the Urdu Bazar. At the top of this section are the Faiz Canal on the right and the Khass Bazar on the left.
The section illustrated above shows, from the bottom on the left, Patiala the residence of Raja Amar Singh, 14 kroh (1 kroh is about 1.5 miles) from Sirhind, and on the right, Banur. The Sirhind Bridge takes the road to Sirhind Fort âdestroyed by the Sikhsâ. Beyond that, on the bank of the river Sutlej on the right is the Maikhor garden built by Fidai Khan and Qasba Ropar. After passing an old serai, the road reaches Lashkar Khanâs Sarai and beyond that the Serai of Ludhiana with Ghat Manchiwara on the right and Qasba Payak on the left.
The corresponding stages, 14-17, in the printed account describe the roads of Sirhind as excellent, âwith many wells, fountains, and shady mango trees on each side, and the lands in the highest state of cultivationâ. The next stage is âquite deserted, and only fit for an army to halt atâ. At Ludhiana the Zamindars (landowners) are recently converted Muslims, formerly Rajputs. The roads are shaded with a number of wells, mango orchards and tanks. The local chiefs are Tara Singh and Ghaiba Singh.
The final destination is the city of Kandahar situated 118 kroh from Kabul, 409 from Lahore and 667 from the capital Shahjahanabad. The road continues westwards with the mountains on the north leading to the Darya-i Shur, while the southern mountains face Mecca, leading to Tur and Jabal.
Ursula Sims-Williams, Asian and African Studies
Susan Gole, Indian Maps and Plans: From Earliest Times to the Advent of European Surveys. New Delhi, India: Manohar Publications, 1989. Includes a reduced facsimile copy of IO Islamic 4725, together with a complete translation of the Persian text
Abdul Rehman, Historic towns of Punjab: ancient & medieval period, Lahore: Ferozsons, 1997, pp.157-60. Includes a reduced facsimile copy of IO Islamic 4380, of the section from Serai Khan Khanan to Khairabad
Mawlavi Ê»Abd al-Qadir Khan, âMiscellaneous Tracts for the year 1806â, The Asiatic Annual Register: or, A View of the History of Hindustan, and of the Politics, Commerce, and Literature of Asia, 8. 2 (1806 ), pp.46-57